Posts Tagged ‘carbon tax’
Conservative finance minister Jim Flaherty says a potential election and the spectre of an opposition coalition government pose a political risk to the economic recovery.
Under an Ignatief-NDP-Bloc Québécois government, nothing would be safe. No part of our economy would be spared. No taxpayer would avoid the hit.
- Jim Flaherty
Liberal leader Stéphane Dion announced details of the Liberal Party’s Green Shift carbon tax at a party rally in Ottawa.
The plan includes a tax on carbon emissions against big polluters with tax cuts and rebates for individuals intended to offset increased energy prices caused by the tax.
Dion later challenged Harper to a public debate saying he wants a substantive discussion on the issue.
- Video: Harper promotes Canada’s emission reduction plan in Europe
- Video: Stéphane Dion proposes carbon ‘tax shift’
- Liberal Party website: The Green Shift
Stéphane Dion outlined his vision for the economy and environment during a speech at the Canadian Club of Toronto.
Dion proposed a carbon tax during the speech, saying it will be revenue neutral because he would also lower other taxes.
MacKay Editorial Cartoons: Liberals uneasy about Dion’s plan for carbon tax
Some Liberals are uneasy of the plan, fearing it will be difficult to sell during an election.
- Report: Pricing Carbon: Saving Green (David Suzuki Foundation)
- Regulatory Framework for Industrial Greenhouse Gas Emissions (Government of Canada)
- Video: Stephen Harper’s economic plan